Friday, December 14, 2007

The Grinch



There are three kinds of thought about Christmas.

The first is Christmas As a Natural Disaster. Some people don’t see Christmas coming, they forget to board up the windows and stock up on canned goods - then all of a sudden Christmas cheer hits them like a ton of bricks. These are the people who are over-decorated, over-stressed and over-cheerful. The breed is also responsible for the famous Christmas sweaters that have elevated our society to new heights of embarrassment. You can define these victims by their glossed over stare and wide, over-dramatic smile.

Second is the Sneaky Santa. These are the people who sneak Christmas in on you. I HATE hearing about Christmas before Thanksgiving. In my mind, Christmas is just Thanksgiving with more stress – but these people feel the need to overlook Thanksgiving because “Christmas is coming!” Why concentrate on a Holiday about giving thanks for what we have, when we could focus on the commercialization of one of the most important religious holidays of the year – not to mention the presents we are going to get. Maybe it is just me but it seems a little backwards. This breed also shops everyday from October – December to be prepared. You will also find their car stereo programmed to all Christmas music.

Third, and my breed, The Grinch. I hate it. I hate the cheer, I hate the decorations, I hate the songs, I hate being wished a Merry Christmas, I hate the stress, the shopping, the traveling and the lack of emphasis placed on naps (I miss you Thanksgiving). It is just a holiday, just like every other holiday, I don’t understand the “mystique” around Christmas. It would be such a fun holiday if people didn’t go so crazy over every aspect. Is that third blow-up Santa necessary in your lawn, Neighbor Man? I love my family, I love the good food and the memories, but I don’t see the need for the other stuff. The overboard stuff.

With that said, here are the few things I DO enjoy about Christmas.

A Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack.
Animated Christmas movies (The Grinch, Rudolph, Frosty)
Nat King Cole’s Christmas Album
Watching little kids open Christmas presents
Days off
Chocolate and peanut-butter Buckeyes
Kids getting an expensive gift, only to play with the box for the rest of the day

Can’t I just enjoy the little parts of the Holiday without selling my soul to Santa? Why am I am Grinch if I don’t want to celebrate Christmas until…well…Christmas?



NEW FEATURE: Stealing this idea from a much better blogger (because that’s what I do) I am going to include an addition to every post. While she includes a quote that provokes thought and enlightenment, I am just going to throw a song on the end of mine.

Nat King Cole – The Christmas Song

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What religious holiday are you talking about? The birth of Santa?

even pretty girls need to read said...

I love your remix of my quote idea - steal away!!

I would just like to note that the grinch did come around, when he ignored all the boxes and bags and realized that CHRISTmas meant a little bit more...

Allison M. said...

I bet you hate Mariah Carey then? Her song is number one every year.

Narm said...

Jason - Your comment was too funny for me to come up with a witty response.

Claire - Yeah the movie really goes downhill after the Grinch comes around. I felt like I lost a friend.

Allison - I hate LISTENING to Mariah Carey...the videos normally aren't too bad.