Tuesday, June 25, 2013

30 for 30 on the 30th Parts 20-24

I'm counting down the 30 things I need to have and do before I turn 30 this Sunday, the 30th.

I gave myself 66 days to complete a list of 30 things - and with 5 days to go I have 11 items left on the list.  This isn't a good start to the rest of my life. 

Things I should have: 

Always enough toilet paper.

Sheets that don't scratch.

A nightstand that doesn't say "Handle with care" on the side.

A smile he uses generously.

At least one lamp that didn't once belong in a dorm room. 

Almost this entire portion of the list is about shedding off the cheap items of my youth for more permanent, adult options. 

I always have enough toilet paper - and I buy the good stuff so that those sheets don't scratch.  I have nightstands and lamps that aren't from Ikea - and I use my smile generously because the nightstands and lamps cost so much I can't be generous with my money.

This part of the list was about me growing up, putting down some roots and looking towards the future.  Well if that's all it took to turn 30, I've been 30 for a few years now.  I became a lame old guy in my mid-20s.  I'm a trendsetter. 

Things I should do:

Stayed up all night to watch the sunrise.

Started your own business.

Said, "I love you" and mean it. 

Taken a punt on a long shot.

Sung in public.

If the 'have' list was about growing up, the 'dos' are about going all in.  Take a chance - take a risk.  Go for it.  Shoot for the moon - if you miss you'll still land among the stars. 

It's starting to sound like a sorority girl's AIM away message from 2004.

I've stayed up all night to watch the sunrise.  I've said "I love you" and meant it.  I've taken the long shot (and lost.)  I've sang in public.  I've done all that.

And that's why my hair is falling out and I can't drink two beers without a hangover now.

Age has certainly been giving me the business lately - but I guess I started it.

1 comment:

heidikins said...

"Shoot for the moon - if you miss you'll still land among the stars."

...

Or you'll end up in the deep, neverending black of space, freezing to death, running out of oxygen, and probably being sucked into a black hole and/or burned up upon re-entering the atmosphere. :)

xox