Wednesday, February 20, 2008

We're Not In Kansas Anymore

When walking into my college graduation ceremony a friend of mine looked over and shared these words of wisdom:

"Enjoy these next few hours kids, because after this, you're just unemployed."

And he was right - the drunken parties and wasted afternoons have never quite been the same. Responsibility is like herpes for the brain - even when there are no symptoms you can't do anything crazy without feeling guilty.

I had a similar epiphany at work today. After an in-depth conversation about online advertising and building ads to a specific k-weight, I realized this is no longer a way to pay the bills - it is a career.

I'm grown up.

When I was five I wanted to be a dinosaur. At ten I thought I would someday be an archaeologist. As a teen I had dreams of being a famous rockstar - or if that didn't work out I could fall back on being a radio DJ. Now I'm in my mid-20's and I realize when I grow up - I'm still going to be a media planner. Yeah, I know, calm down ladies - there is only so much Nomina to go around.

I am somewhat jealous of my college friends who tell me, "when I graduate I am going to...". Nope. No you aren't. You are going to do whatever pays the bills. If you get lucky - and I'll be the first to admit I got EXTREMELY lucky - you'll find a job you like. But you won't be picky. You won't weigh your options. You'll be neck-deep in rent and realizing you can't put "beer pong" on your resume.

So kids -

Stay
Stay as long as you can
For the love of GOD
CHERISH IT

1 comment:

Allison M. said...

I was at Kent State last night. As I was driving to my destination, I kept thinking of all the fun, drunken "walks" I had around that campus. Oh, if only I could click my heels and go back.