1. Contra. One word for you - upupdowndownleftrightleftrightababselectstart. Unlimited lives baby. Oh you don't care about unlimited lives? Now I've got spreads. Dig it.
2. Tecmo Super Bowl. Awesome. You think that toss right to Bo Jackson is going to score? No chance. Lawrence Taylor. And why the hell is Christian Okoye so good in this game? If Christian Okoye were to make his OWN video game he STILL wouldn't have made himself as good as he is in this game. Best sports game ever. And best in between cut-away graphics ever. QUARTERBACK SACK! Scary.
3. Mariokart. (for Super Nintendo - though the Wii version has recently decimated my social life). In college I worked for the campus radio station and challenged the entire Video Game Club to Mariokart and was never close to being beaten. I think that makes me King of the Nerds. I rule my KingKongdom with glazed eyes and sore thumbs.
4. NHL '94. This list is a sham because this is the greatest game of all time - even without fighting (a staple in hockey games). The One-Timer? Money. The Wrap Around? Like having a British accent - almost too easy to score. AND it keeps a checking stat. Tell me something cooler than a stat that tracks how many times I blasted your lil 16 bit Wayne Gretzky against the boards. Give up? Zombie Bears. (How awesome is it that I got bored and Googled 'zombie bears' and actually got 413,000 results.)
5. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Before Mike Tyson was crazy he made awesome video games. He may or may not have been a boxer as well, I don't know, not my job to follow this guy's hobbies. This game brought us the greatest video game character of all time - Soda Popinski. Fun fact - his name was originally "Vodka Popinski" but was changed before the game was released. They obviously forgot to change his quotes which are gems such as these:
* "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"
* "I'm going to make you feel punch drunk!"
* "I drink to prepare for a fight. Tonight I am very prepared!"
* "After you lose, we'll drink to your health! Ha, ha, ha!"
* "Would you like some punch to drink? Ha, ha, ha!"
Oh, Soda Popinski, you are my favorite drunk children's character.
Honorable Mention: Zelda, Free Cell, the original Mario, Madden and tping 5,318,008 into a calculator and turning it upside-down so it says "BOOBIES".